I took advantage of the great weather and fresh ingredients I got yesterday to brew. I had a buddy ride shotgun for most of the process which was nice. I really like imparting the things I know and enjoy to other people, so it was rad. We brewed a fairly basic pale ale. I think I originally called it the Yakima Valley Pale with the intention of using local hops, however I dont know where these actually came from. Also, in my laziness I forgot to adjust hop weights for Alpha %’s so it might be more along the lines of a small IPA. Oh well, 45 IBU’s instead of the intended 42, I’ll survive.
Volume: 4 gallons, O.G. 1050 est (1049 actual), F.G. 1014 est, 45 IBU’s, 7* SRM, 4.8% ABV
|%||LB||OZ||Malt or Fermentable||ppg||°L|
|75%||7||0||American Two-row Pale||37||1||~|
|3%||0||5||American Crystal 60L||34||60||~|
Chilled to 70*F and then pitched a packet of US-05
I used the post boil hops as a sort of whirlpool addition while I was chilling via recirculation through the counterflow chiller. I’ve never tried this before, but I have high hopes. Also, in lieu of available muslin bags for hops I bought a bunch of cheesecloth from the painting section of the hardware store and used squares of that to roll/tie up the hop additions with awesome results. No more restricting grain bags for me!
Fermentation was going strong when I woke up this morning after 9 hours and the temp had dropped to about 67*F, psyched! I had to make up for wort absorbed by hops with some RO water, I need to learn how to compensate when I plan brews as I usually dont brew things with lots of hops, though I’m setting out to remedy that a bit in the near future.
I’ll post pictures when I can and should have some tastings up this week.