I took advantage of the great weather and fresh ingredients I got yesterday to brew. I had a buddy ride shotgun for most of the process which was nice. I really like imparting the things I know and enjoy to other people, so it was rad. We brewed a fairly basic pale ale. I think I originally called it the Yakima Valley Pale with the intention of using local hops, however I dont know where these actually came from. Also, in my laziness I forgot to adjust hop weights for Alpha %’s so it might be more along the lines of a small IPA. Oh well, 45 IBU’s instead of the intended 42, I’ll survive.

Volume: 4 gallons, O.G. 1050 est (1049 actual), F.G. 1014 est, 45 IBU’s, 7* SRM, 4.8% ABV


% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
75% 7 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
21% 2 0 American Munich 33 10 ~
3% 0 5 American Crystal 60L 34 60 ~


use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 0.5 Centennial leaf 10.0
boil 60 mins 0.5 Columbus leaf 13.5
boil 5 mins 1.0 Centennial leaf 10.0
post-boil 10 mins 1.0 Centennial leaf 10.0
post-boil 10 mins 0.5 Columbus leaf 13.5

Chilled to 70*F and then pitched a packet of US-05

I used the post boil hops as a sort of whirlpool addition while I was chilling via recirculation through the counterflow chiller. I’ve never tried this before, but I have high hopes. Also, in lieu of available muslin bags for hops I bought a bunch of cheesecloth from the painting section of the hardware store and used squares of that to roll/tie up the hop additions with awesome results. No more restricting grain bags for me!

Fermentation was going strong when I woke up this morning after 9 hours and the temp had dropped to about 67*F, psyched! I had to make up for wort absorbed by hops with some RO water, I need to learn how to compensate when I plan brews as I usually dont brew things with lots of hops, though I’m setting out to remedy that a bit in the near future.

I’ll post pictures when I can and should have some tastings up this week.


Brewed up a sour red this weekend, I had planned this a long time ago, but it kept getting pushed back in favor of less time intensive brews. Essentially based the recipe off of various things I’d read about flanders red ales. I had intentionally intended it to be a bit bigger, but decided to up the volume to 5 gallons to a) stay in style and b) reduce head space at aging.

Estimated O.G. 1052, 14 IBU’s, 12 SRM

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
39% 4 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
29% 3 0 Munich Malt 33 10 ~
19% 2 0 Pale Wheat 39 2 ~
10% 1 0 American Crystal 60L 34 60 ~
4% 0 6 Aromatic Malt 36 26 ~

Saaz to ~14 IBU’s (mine were 3.0AA so I used 1.5 oz’s at 60 minutes)

75 minute, single infusion mash @ 154*, recirc sparge for 40 minutes. 90 minute boil.

Chilled to 75*, pitched a single smack pack of wyeast roselare blend.

Fermentation was going by the 15 hour mark, I pitched w/o a starter to stress the sacch strain a bit and maybe leave more stuff for the bugs to chew on.

I’ll transfer to secondary in a couple weeks and rack onto about an ounce or an ounce and a half of red wine soaked oak cubes, after 6 months if the oak presence isnt assertive enough I’ll consider adding more.

Measured O.G. was 1054 into the fermenter.

After a hectic …

After a hectic spring break I’m back and hopefully I’ll be catching up on the backlog of things (mostly academic) I have to get done, but also some brewing stuff.

I bottled a batch of english red I brewed some time ago last weekend, so it’ll be prime for a tasting in a bit, and I have both a robust porter and an oat stout I should be putting up tasting notes for. In other news I ordered materials for a flight of brews today, including an IPA, which is something I haven’t brewed in probably a year, also brewing a flanders red, an american brown, a pale ale and a stout. The wintery months had me brewing mostly english styles, while with the exception of the flanders red the upcoming weeks seem to be almost entirely american (though I’ll be doing at least one saison I think).

Anyways, all for now, hopefully engaging material with pretty pictures soon.