Fairly busy weekend, felt I should catch up on the brew/bottle log a bit as I didnt get much done last week. Realistically I need to write up tastings and take pictures for a ton of beers as well, but my school schedule has been really busy.
Bottled the American Invasion Oat stout yesterday, I was really happy with how it turned out. Final volume was ~ 3.8 gallons, primed to 2.1 volumes. I also tried a new thing, I bottled a single bottle in a newcastle brown bottle so I can better observe how it carbonates. I dont know if this will work, mostly I just like to pull it out and look at it. The beer has a really nice color and seeing it in a clear bottle is way cool.
Also; the robust porter I brewed earlier seemed to have stalled, which I wasnt psyched about. But when I was shuffling carboys the other day I noticed a previously absent krausen. Hoping it isnt an infection, but it appears distinctly yeast-like and doesnt have any off flavors, so maybe it’ll drop a couple more gravity points and I wont be so upset about the performance of the neobritt I used in it.
However, also, brewing today. I decided on a bigger than usual batch of mild. I brewed a rye mild some months ago (I think almost 9 now) and was really underwhelmed with how it turned out. It got bottled at a time when I had a bit of an infection issue in my bottling setup (lacto) so that didnt help, but even when the infection hadnt come to a head yet I wasnt happy with the beer. So, I came up with a new recipe and decided to punch it out today. It’s another strange combo, I wanted a really clean yeast profile, so I went with US-05, but english malts, yadda yadda whatever.
Americans Abroad Mild
Batch size 5 gal, est O.G. 1035, est F.G. 1009, 21* SRM, 19 IBU’s
83% Maris Otter (6lbs)
7% Flaked oats (8 oz)
5% Chocolate Malt (6oz)
4% Crystal 120l (5oz)
0.5 oz Nugget @ 60min, I used some older hops, I adjusted for age and used ~9.5 AA.
Fermented w/ 1 package US-05 dry yeast
Mashed @ 1.7 qts/lb, 153*F. 2 vessel style recirc sparge. Trying this method out.
Measured O.G. 1041, which puts me at about 84% efficiency. Not so mild, more like a brown, but such is life. Cooled to 63*F in about 15 minutes, aerated by shaking several times and pitched one packet US-05 @ 6:15pm.